It all began with a family ice and coal hauling business founded by George Curtis, Sr. In 1926 the first Curtis Brothers Furniture store was opened in the heart of Anacostia, in the building now known as the Anacostia Professional Building. The success of that first store led to a chain of furniture stores.
This business grew to be the largest single furniture retailer in the U.S. and in recognition, the Curtis Brothers Furniture store was given “The Big Chair” that sits along Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue today.
This success also created a need for retail space and warehouses, which led to a real estate business. Eventually, the company transitioned from retail to focus entirely on real estate investments. That transition led to the company that exists today – The Curtis Investment Group. The traits that served us so still serve us today: integrity, trust and a clear focus on our customers.